Tips for Becoming a Askable Adult
Garfield County PREP wants to help parents and adults with these difficult conversations. Askable Adult trainings can be arranged for parent groups through schools, faith-based organizations or by gathering a group of your friends together for some supportive conversations, information sharing and myth busting.
Trainings and workshops can also be arranged for any youth serving organization’s staff on topics ranging from sexuality development across the lifespan, supporting LBGTQ youth to knowing local resources to connect youth to when they need more help that you are able to provide.
PREP can help adults learn to suspend their judgment, remain value neutral and know where to find the right answers to those tough questions. But, in the meantime, here are some tips for becoming a Trusted and Askable Adult:
- Stop and Breathe
- Reflect on your own values and emotions
- Know that questions DO NOT always lead to actions
- Inquire, don’t interrogate
- Only answer what is asked (think and ask yourself, ‘is this TMI?’)
- Assure Confidentiality (and/or policies your agency or family have about talking to others)
- Look up answers together using online and local resources